NORVIS is an annual full week-long early music summer school in County Durham which we’re proud to describe as one of the UK’s longest-established and friendliest early music summer schools. We are celebrating our Golden Jubilee in 2020, including a theme on the Meeting at the Field of the Cloth of Gold in 1520 as we move to a super new venue at Barnard Castle School, next door to the wonderful Bowes Museum.
An update concerning coronavirus COVID-19
The Trustees of NORVIS are monitoring the development of the COVID-19 pandemic and the actions of the UK government. At this point in time, the NORVIS 50 summer school 1st – 8th August 2020 is going ahead, and we are very much looking forward to a marvellous week. If this position changes, we will update this message accordingly and will contact all those who have applied to take part in NORVIS.
‘Sympathetic and informative teaching’
‘Very good variety – always something I wanted to do’
‘Good fun, great atmosphere, very good repertoire’
‘Went beyond expectations’
- If you love playing early music, a week at NORVIS will enable you make progress.
- We teach and perform with recorders, viols, lutes, baroque strings, harpsichord and voices, and cover a wide range of repertoire from early Renaissance to late Baroque.
- We have an impressive line-up of specialist performers and teachers.
- We have a particularly generous student-tutor ratio.
- We give a number of bursaries to enable individuals to participate in NORVIS who would be otherwise unable to do so.
NORVIS 50 – Golden Jubilee – Saturday 1st to Saturday 8th August 2020
At Barnard Castle School (new venue).
Click images to see flyer.
Photos of the 2019 course are HERE.
You can read some testimonials from past NORVIS participants – they enjoyed it!
NORVIS was founded in 1971 as The Northumbrian Recorder and Viol School by Layton and Christine Ring. Over time it has encompassed recorders, viols, lutes, Baroque strings, harpsichord and voices and dance. Many participants play other instruments, e.g. other Renaissance and Baroque brass and woodwind, as part of the additional activities taking place.
NORVIS is a registered charity, no 1014801.