NORVIS 50 postponed to 2021
In the light of the current coronavirus pandemic, the Trustees of NORVIS regret to announce that they have decided to postpone the Golden Jubilee NORVIS 50 early music summer school from August 2020 to the summer of 2021. All those who have applied to attend NORVIS have been contacted individually. The new provisional dates for the course will be 31st July – 7th August 2021 at Barnard Castle School. When we celebrate our Golden Jubilee, it will indeed be magnificent. Thank you for your support of NORVIS – please keep in touch with us. (www.norvis.org.uk)
NORVIS is an annual full week-long early music summer school in County Durham which we’re proud to describe as one of the UK’s longest-established and friendliest early music summer schools. We are celebrating our Golden Jubilee, in 2021 rather than 2020, as we move to a fine new venue at Barnard Castle School, next door to the wonderful Bowes Museum.
‘Sympathetic and informative teaching’
‘Very good variety – always something I wanted to do’
‘Good fun, great atmosphere, very good repertoire’
‘Went beyond expectations’
- If you love playing early music, a week at NORVIS will enable you make progress.
- We teach and perform with recorders, viols, lutes, baroque strings, harpsichord and voices, and cover a wide range of repertoire from early Renaissance to late Baroque.
- We have an impressive line-up of specialist performers and teachers.
- We have a particularly generous student-tutor ratio.
- We give a number of bursaries to enable individuals to participate in NORVIS who would be otherwise unable to do so.
NORVIS 50 postponed until 2021: read full announcement.
Photos of the 2019 course are HERE.
You can read some testimonials from past NORVIS participants – they enjoyed it!
NORVIS was founded in 1971 as The Northumbrian Recorder and Viol School by the late Layton and Christine Ring. Over time it has encompassed recorders, viols, lutes, Baroque strings, harpsichord and voices and dance. Many participants play other instruments, e.g. other Renaissance and Baroque brass and woodwind, as part of the additional activities taking place.
NORVIS is a registered charity, no 1014801.